Monday 25 May 2015

The day of the first meeting

Monday 27th April,

The day has arrived and I can't sleep because I know I don't want to be late as I've got to make the best impression I can.

The drives goes in a heartbeat and it gradually becomes more and more real with each mile! I have hundreds of questions flying round in my mind but also none at all its the most surreal feeling ever.

I finally pull up at Papworth and we struggle to firstly park, then there's even more of a struggle finding the transplant centre.

Me and mom walk in and check in at the desk, and literally as my bum hits the chair I'm called in to have a blood test, simple enough I think, I sit down in the blood test room and to my amazement there is no fewer than 12 bottles that require filling, and knowing my vein issues I make light of the situation and let them know my veins aren't great! To my disbelief it only takes two attempts to fill all 12 bottles and as fast as I'm into the room I'm back out in the waiting area.

An hour or so passes by and we are still waiting in a busy waiting room then I finally hear my name called out and I follow into the doctors room, where I am introduced to Tracey the transplant Co ordinator and Dr Thomas one of the transplant consultants on the team. We chat about everything, from when I was diagnosed, to when I started to decline in health and what my compliance is like, we talk through my results from all my pre assessment paperwork and Dr Thomas believes that everything looks pretty good for transplant and she wants my assessment at Papworth done sooner rather than later so that I can become listed as soon as possible.

I was expecting to be given a date for in 6-10 weeks time but to my utter shock and amazement I am told they have found a 'gap' for me and to be there by 9am on the following Tuesday for my 3 day assessment to be done in 2 days! With the chance if having to return again the week after to meet the surgeon and anaesthetist as they probably won't be available during my assessment period.

So me and mom leave the meeting with mixed emotions wondering why I need the assessment so soon but also feeling really positive that I'm going to get my assessment within a week and not have to wait up to 10 weeks for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment